Pets can bring so much joy to our lives and really complete a family, but they can also bring with them some pretty unpleasant odours and the last thing you want is your home smelling like a kennel! You don’t want that stale ‘doggy’ smell hitting you in the face as soon as you walk in the door. We have been doing some research into some of the commercial brands of ‘pet linen sprays’ and found that some can contain chemicals such as Benzisothiazolinone which aside from the human toxicological effects, has been shown to be a severe eye irritant to animals, and alter the blood chemistry in dogs along with numerous other health effects and Diethylene Glycol which has been linked to numerous mass poisonings.
These sorts of sprays are a great idea, because sometimes you do just need to freshen your pet bed between washes and it helps to keep your pet smelling fresh between baths too! However it shouldn’t have to be packed full of nasty chemicals that you have to breathe in and your poor pet has to sleep in. The great news is, you don’t have to expose your pets to these chemicals, you can make your own pet bed spray using our simple recipe to help keep your pet bed smelling fresh, naturally! Our spray includes the addition of a pure Eucalyptus essential oil because it is a natural pest deterrent, so it can be great to help keep fleas and ticks at bay. Check out our simple recipe below, treat your fur baby and see how much fresher their bed can smell!
What you will need:
- 1/2 cup of distilled water
- 1/4 cup of rubbing alcohol or vodka
- 1/4 cup of white vinegar
- 5 drops of pure Eucalyptus essential oil
- 5 drops of pure Lavender essential oil
- Pour water, alcohol and vinegar into a jar and shake to combine.
- Add essential oils to water mixture and shake well.
- Pour liquid into a fine misting spray bottle
- Test the solution by spraying onto a small section of the bedding first, you may even wish to see how your pet reacts to the smell before spraying it all over in case they are sensitive to it.
- Spray lightly onto pets bedding – not too much, you don’t want to saturate the fabric.
- Allow to dry, this shouldn’t take too long, the alcohol helps to speed up drying. It generally only takes about 5 minutes, but if it is cold it may take a little bit longer.
- Hopefully your pet should be happy to climb into their fresher smelling bed – our beagle was quite happy with it and didn’t seem to have any issues with the smell and she has a very sensitive nose!
Note – Always shake before use to ensure the oils mix through with the water solution. This natural spray should help to keep your pets bed smelling fresh between washes and even keeps your pet smelling clean! It’s always more pleasant to cuddle them when they smell nice and they will love you even more for it.